Sunday, April 1, 2012

Sunday Poetry Post

No Foolin'
 
 

April
by Marcia Masters

It’s lemonade, it’s lemonade, it’s daisy.
It’s a roller-skating, scissor-grinding day;
It’s gingham-waisted, chocolate flavored, lazy,
With the children flower-scattered at their play.
It’s the sun like watermelon,
And the sidewalks overlaid
With a glaze of yellow yellow
Like a jar of marmalade.

It’s the mower gently mowing,
And the stars like startled glass,
While the mower keeps on going
Through a waterfall of grass.

Then the rich magenta evening
Like a sauce upon the walk,
And the porches softly swinging
With a hammockful of talk.

It’s the hobo at the corner
With his lilac-sniffing gait,
And the shy departing thunder
Of the fast departing skate.

It’s lemonade, it’s lemonade, it’s April!
A water sprinkler, puddle winking time,
    When a boy who peddles slowly,
    With a smile remote and holy,
Sells you April, chocolate flavored, for a dime.

4 comments:

  1. Sometimes It Snows In April, selected portions
    written by: Wendy Melvoin, Lisa Coleman, & Prince Nelson

    Tracy died soon after a long fought civil war
    just after I'd wiped away his last tear
    I guess he's better off than he was before
    a whole lot better off than the fools he left here

    Springtime was always my favorite time of year
    a time for lovers holding hands in the rain
    now springtime only reminds me of Tracy's tears
    always cry for love, never cry for pain

    Sometimes it snows in April
    sometimes I feel so bad, so bad
    sometimes I wish that life was never ending
    but all good things, they say, never last
    and love, just isn't love until it's passed

    ReplyDelete
  2. Morning all!

    Nothing witty to say this morning, just love the flower shots. Sepia-toned? The one that's hiding its face from the bug is unique.

    Yesterday was the usual timesuck, but for unusual reasons. Instead of going to the maul with the wife & Big V, I was supposed to stay home with Mason because he's been traveling all week & he likes being home. Then Big V's hubs called; he's now driving for Averitt and they have a terminal not far from the maul. So it was decided that because he didn't feel like hanging out at the maul, I would have to drive down there and take him home. If Daughter Dearest hadn't been there to take Mason home, I would have flat refused. I still refused long enough to have it be his car (and his gas), and for him to keep Skylar when we got home.

    The thing that really cheeses me about the deal: if it had been me, I would have been told to either cool my heels at the terminal until they came to pick me up, or do the same at the maul. And I made it very clear to the wife that I was sick of being used like this. Maybe it will make a difference. Maybe pigs will fly out my @$$ and sing an oratorio. :-P

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jen, April can be the cruelest month.

    Larry, no sepia used. White balance was set for shade which is where the flowers were on a partly sunny day. It was just a yellow yellow day. Hope everything with the family worked out well today.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful Jim. I really like the three petal foldover with the bug. We had snow this morning. :(

    ReplyDelete