Sunday, July 3, 2011

Sunday Poetry Post

Pond Life

click for larger


Swimming With A Hundred Year Old Snapping Turtle
By Freya Manfred


I spy his head above the waves,
big as a man’s fist, black eyes peering at me,
until he dives into darker, deeper water.
Yesterday I saw him a foot from my outstretched hand,
already tilting his great domed shell away.
Ribbons of green moss rippled behind him,
growing along the ridge of his back
and down his long reptilian tail.
He swims in everything he knows,
and what he knows is never forgotten.
Wisely, he fears me as if I were the Plague,
which I am, sick unto death, swimming
to heal myself in his primeval sea.

6 comments:

  1. Scribble!

    Those dragonflies must be into something good, I haven't seem them curl up like that before.

    Just watching rug rats now, will be getting ready for church in a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, all. My computer is messing with me so I hope this goes through.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like it is working so happy Sunday all!

    Love the dragonflies!

    We've lost the pretty weather and it is raining but it is also cooling so not all bad.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mini Dragons!!! Luckily they don't blow fireballs. Whew!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ha, that's a great photo! Nicely captured. Love the soft green background of the lily pads. Did you use the 18-200mm?

    Hope you are all staying cool. We're almost at 100F today here, so that's what we're trying to do.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi all,

    Farf, I think they were just courtin'. I went down to the pond and took a bunch of dragonfly shots today. Given the ribs, that passed for exercise today.

    Dina, hope the rain gave you rainbows or lovely greens today & tomorrow.

    Janet, the iridescent blues weren't around today, but the browns were out in force.

    Candis, I used the 105mm macro at f5.6 and 1/1600 sec. The bug on top was moving faster than I was shooting. In the next couple weeks I'll try to get everyone in focus.

    It was hot & humid with little wind here today. That is my preferred biking weather. But with my ribs, I'm not biking for at least 2 more weeks.

    ReplyDelete