Sunday, March 6, 2011

Sunday Poetry Post

From an Earlier Spring

click for larger


Overheard on a Salt Marsh
by Harold Monro

Nymph, nymph, what are your beads?
          Green glass, goblin.
          Why do you stare at them?
Give them me.
          No.
Give them me. Give them me.
          No.
Then I will howl all night in the reeds,
Lie in the mud and howl for them.

          Goblin, why do you love them so?

They are better than stars or water,
Better than voices of winds that sing,
Better than any man's fair daughter,
Your green glass beads on a silver ring.

          Hush, I stole them out of the moon.
Give me your beads, I want them.
          No.

I will howl in the deep lagoon
For your green glass beads, I love them so.
Give them me. Give them.
          No.

4 comments:

  1. Thank you Andi and Jen. I'm at a loss for words now :) I'm just very happy that you read it and didn't have to scour your eyeballs.

    I do like marrying words together. Making up words. Alliteration. I think with storytelling, I've always liked the use of alliteration and sometimes making words sound differently than normal. It can keep things tied together throughout. See... all those "t's"? I do it when I don't even try. :)

    Farf, hope you feel better. People at work have been hit hard by the cold and flu. Flu last two weeks and now a nasty cold is flittering around. I've been fairly lucky. Knock on qwerty. I think Elderberry helps me keep my immune system up. But there I go thinking again. Take care!

    I've birthed 15 black lab puppies in a birthing box in the living room... well, not me but I helped my girl Willow who was supposed to get fixed but things got put on the back burner too far back. She was a good mom. Was over 24 hours. Only ten made it and the last 2 I had to use mouth to muzzle and get their lungs going. Shinobi was #9.

    Gotta jump into my shower and into my Monday. Hasta!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Morning! (by half an hour)

    I seem to have sweated out the virus overnight. Went to bed early, woke up a lot, but was able to function at 7a.m. when Mason and his cousin Skyler woke up and wanted to cling (both of them). I've since showered & dressed and feel nearly 100%.

    Janet, that comment yesterday reminded me of some of the avant garde scifi I read in the 70s, Damon Knight et al. I liked it!

    Jen, at least if Ruby does give birth under the sofa, you won't see any stains unless you move it later! But there is something to be said about a wood floor. I think E has the right idea.

    Okay… off to scribble a little while the boys (and Mrs. Fetched) are napping!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely photo, and very interesting poem, Jim. Very Gollum. My precious. We wants it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Janet, sounds like it's been a productive weekend in Portland.

    Farf, glad to hear you're feeling human again.

    It's a fun poem to have kids read, Nancy. Two kids reading one taking the part of the nymph, the other the goblin.

    ReplyDelete