Sunday, January 23, 2011

Sunday Poetry Post

Given the weather we've been having, Frost seems appropriate.

click for larger


Mending Wall
by Robert Frost

Something there is that doesn't love a wall,
That sends the frozen-ground-swell under it,
And spills the upper boulders in the sun,
And makes gaps even two can pass abreast.
The work of hunters is another thing:
I have come after them and made repair
Where they have left not one stone on a stone,
But they would have the rabbit out of hiding,
To please the yelping dogs. The gaps I mean,
No one has seen them made or heard them made,
But at spring mending-time we find them there.
I let my neighbor know beyond the hill;
And on a day we meet to walk the line
And set the wall between us once again.
We keep the wall between us as we go.
To each the boulders that have fallen to each.
And some are loaves and some so nearly balls
We have to use a spell to make them balance:
'Stay where you are until our backs are turned!'
We wear our fingers rough with handling them.
Oh, just another kind of out-door game,
One on a side. It comes to little more:
There where it is we do not need the wall:
He is all pine and I am apple orchard.
My apple trees will never get across
And eat the cones under his pines, I tell him.
He only says, 'Good fences make good neighbors'.
Spring is the mischief in me, and I wonder
If I could put a notion in his head:
'Why do they make good neighbors? Isn't it
Where there are cows?
But here there are no cows.
Before I built a wall I'd ask to know
What I was walling in or walling out,
And to whom I was like to give offence.
Something there is that doesn't love a wall,
That wants it down.' I could say 'Elves' to him,
But it's not elves exactly, and I'd rather
He said it for himself. I see him there
Bringing a stone grasped firmly by the top
In each hand, like an old-stone savage armed.
He moves in darkness as it seems to me~
Not of woods only and the shade of trees.
He will not go behind his father's saying,
And he likes having thought of it so well
He says again, "Good fences make good neighbors."

9 comments:

  1. Cold talk and cold pic. Love the symmetry and texture.

    Two pets to the vet yesterday. Kip's arthritus had flared up and he was in pain so Hubby took him and got pills to help.
    I fixed up the first half a pill dose and put it on the counter to let Kip in. Got back to the kitchen to see Toby the tabby licking his chops and pill gone.
    So 2nd trip was me and cat to get him to heave up that pill. Not happening. So I came home a couple of hours later with iv bag of fluid and needles and mostly sedated cat.
    Giving fluids under the skin 2x a day until Monday. Back to vet for check of liver/kidney enzymes. Learning how to push the needle in and squeeze the bag was easy when the cat was mostly unconcious. Much trickier yesterday afternoon with daughter not a great holder of wiggly upset cat.
    So looking forward to today's medical administrations-NOT.

    We're in the 50s here during the day so I know why I live in Texas.

    Maria, great to have work goals now. Still think a new character will be knocking on your door soon. Or brain.

    Waves to all as need to get to writerly work before everybody else gets up.

    Relaxing Sunday to All.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good morning everyone,

    Lisa I agree with you, I like the symmetry and texture.

    So sorry to hear about Kip's Arthritis and cat's accident. Hopefully both get to feeling better soon.

    Our temp right now is in the mid-20s and when I woke up our heater was off. It's back on now, but it's still cold as can be in this house.

    I hope everyone has a very slackerly Sunday and take care.

    FM

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brrr, cold, bitter, bitter WINTER. UGH.

    I am SOOO over winter. FM, our high is going to be mid-20s today. I don't even want to know what the temp is outside right now. That said, my heater is still working. :)

    Lisa, sending you loads of good vibes for Kip & silly kitty.

    ::waves to the rest of you::

    I'm going to put off revising today and spend the day napping & reading, methinks.

    Happy Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Morning Maria,

    I've always preferred winter to summer. Down here when it hits triple digits and with the humidity it's just unbearable. However, as much as I prefer winter, having a warm house is top of the list. :)

    I think napping and reading are perfect for today. Well any day for that matter.

    Take care

    FM

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yo!

    Nothing like that here, except for little patches where the snow was piled up into shady areas, but still a little cool. Mrs. Fetched wanted to burn some boxes, which means I spent about an hour behind the detached garage pulling up briars. I didn't get 'em all, but I did clear a perimeter around the burn cage & now it's possible to walk the back of the garage without getting snagged.

    Been writing a particular scene in Book 2, but it's lacking a couple of things… steam and spice. I see some hard work in my future.

    Enjoy the foo'ball games, whoever's watching. I have no feelings toward any of the teams left, so I'll catch the box scores & highlights. Later!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Screw it, I've got the flu. Miserable.

    Kids are doing a run to the store for me.

    Dylan, our big black pussycat, has been with me all day. Now he's running through the house like a whirling dervish.

    All this talk about weather reminds me of a conversation me and my aunt had with a lady at my store. Global Warming - which should have been called Catastrophic Climate Change and Severe Weather Patterns - is a huge controversy in this country. Not much so anywhere else.

    Met a lady whose husband is from Australia. His entire family is missing from the floods there. She was very angry about how the US is not reacting to severe weather and climate changes. She had heard people talking about the severe cold fronts as being "proof" that global warming wasn't happening. I assured her not all Americans were like what she saw on Faux News. She apologized for Rupert Murdoch and said he was a scumbag in Australia, too. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Lisa, good luck with the critters! Way too much drama - poor things. And poor you! Hope everyone comes out okay.

    Staying inside sounds good, Maria - winter will be there tomorrow when you emerge.

    Watching football, of course! Not that I care about any of the teams, but I'll miss the sport when it's over for the season.

    I've given up trying to explain global warming, because folks point to the cold weather as evidence to the contrary. It's just not worth the effort. Climate change seems to be a term they can understand, whether they support the concept or not.

    Hard work but productive, Farf.

    Napping sounds good to me too, FM!!

    Working on the new blog, and watching football, and eating home salsa. Big Sunday!

    Oh, I've visited Frost's home in NH, and wandered through his woods and along his walls. You can almost hear his words as you tour the property...

    Stay warm, y'all!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Stopping in to wish good karma for the various critters in need between Lisa and Jen

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sunday's nearly finished with itself and me. At least we got only a dusting of snow this time.

    Oh, Lisa, what a petastrophe. I feel so bad for all of you.

    Hi to everybody. I regret that I'm so rarely here. My loss, for sure. I'm going to start dropping by every Sunday, just to be sure I touch base with youse crazy peeps. Long time blog buddies cannot be forgotten!

    ReplyDelete