Sunday, December 26, 2010

Sunday Poetry Post

Picture of a Winter's Early Evening

click for larger


Song for a Winter's Night
Music & Lyrics by Gordon Lightfoot

The lamp is burnin' low upon my table top
The snow is softly falling
The air is still within the silence of my room
I hear your voice softly calling
If I could only have you near
To breathe a sigh or two
I would be happy just to hold the hands I love
Upon this winter night with you

The smoke is rising in the shadows overhead
My glass is almost empty
I read again between the lines upon each page
The words of love you sent me

If I could know within my heart
That you were lonely too
I would be happy just to hold the hands I love
Upon this winter night with you

The fire is dying now, my lamp is growing dim
The shades of night are liftin'
The morning light steals across my windowpane
Where webs of snow are driftin'

If I could only have you near
To breathe a sigh or two
I would be happy just to hold the hands I love
Upon this winter night with you
And to be once again with you

6 comments:

  1. Morning All.

    No snow here. But loved looking at and hearing about Farf's.

    A great day yesterday. Good meal and only served 9. What a snap that was. Left overs--No cooking for me today.

    The squirrels and birds are in the backyard where I've thrown birdseed, providing kitty tv through the windows and sliding glass door.

    A quiet day planned today. WooHoo.

    Andi, you and the pups have a great dozing habit. Everybody has their place on the couch.

    Beth the hiker, have another great trek.

    Relaxing Sunday and waves to all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Snow? What snow? We've been OMGSNOWISCOMING for a couple of days now. So far. Not a darned flake...which, btw, I'm totally okay with!

    Spending another quiet day with the Kit. It's glorious!

    Happy belated holiday day to you all!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Boxing Day! Sounds like your days are going to be peaceful, folks. And I love the picture and the lyrics - serene.

    Dinner for 9 is a snap? You are a wonder woman, Lisa!

    No hike today - driving 4 hours to Laughlin. But hanging out at home, reading, watching football sounds much nicer. Next weekend.

    Not sure there's wireless in Laughlin, so I'll check in if I can. Back Tuesday.

    Enjoy your leftovers and presents, all!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maria, we are waiting on the snow as well. If it comes, I want it to come today so I can spend it all inside.

    Made through the holidays. And I continue to be amazed at the people who cook for more than one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Morning from im-snow-bilized Planet Georgia. Mason was busy fighting sleep as best he could by moving his new toys from here to there, but it looks like he's going to let DD put him out. Yesterday at the in-laws', he started nodding off in his high chair.

    When he wakes up, the drill should be charged, so I can get busy wall-mounting the new TV. And that should about do it for me for the day. :)

    Lisa, dinner for 9 sounds like a light turnout at the in-laws' place too. "Kitty TV" — sounds like something where it's fun to watch the watchers!

    Maria, enjoy your quiet snow-free day…

    Beth, enjoy your trip into the Heart of Darkness. Let us know how it goes!

    Good luck with the snow, Dina. What do you mean "made it through"? — there's still New Years & Three Kings Day to go! :)

    OK, Mason is insisting I be the one to put him to sleep…

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, I jinxed myself on the snow. It is coming down and the roads already have a nice covering.

    Farf - those holidays were never really celebrated by me and mine so I am done for the year.

    Happy, happy to all who do celebrate.

    ReplyDelete