Sunday, May 2, 2010

Sunday Poetry Post

On Thursday, the weather was gorgeous so we went outside and read poetry. Kids were scattered over a couple of acres reading everything from Shel Silverstein to Shakespeare.
 

Sonnet 18
- Wm Shakespeare

Shall I compare thee to a summer's day?
Thou art more lovely and more temperate:
Rough winds do shake the darling buds of May,
And summer's lease hath all too short a date:
Sometime too hot the eye of heaven shines,
And often is his gold complexion dimm'd;
And every fair from fair sometime declines,
By chance or nature's changing course untrimm'd;
But thy eternal summer shall not fade
Nor lose possession of that fair thou owest;
Nor shall Death brag thou wander'st in his shade,
When in eternal lines to time thou growest:
     So long as men can breathe or eyes can see,
     So long lives this and this gives life to thee.

5 comments:

  1. Shall I Compare Thee to a Summer's Day?

    Who says you're like one of the dog days?
    You're nicer. And better.
    Even in May, the weather can be gray,
    And a summer sub-let doesn't last forever.
    Sometimes the sun's too hot;
    Sometimes it's not.
    Who can stay young forever?
    People break their necks or just drop dead!
    But you? Never!
    If there's just one condensed reader left
    Who can figure out the abridged alphabet,
    After you're dead and gone,
    In this poem you'll live on!
    --- Howard Moss

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those kids are lucky to have you for a teacher, Jim!

    I love poetry Sunday. Thanks for yours, Lori.

    Here's a snippet from Dan Fogelberg (my favorite kind of poetry), from Nether Lands. I'm still not sure which road i'd choose...

    Once in a vision I came on some woods
    And stood at a fork in the road
    My choices were clear
    Yet I froze with the fear
    Of not knowing which way to go
    One road was simple acceptance of life
    The other road offered sweet peace
    When i made my decision
    My vision became my release.

    Painting the repaired garage wall today, in preparation for the appraisal. And doing more laundry. Woo hoo!

    Hope your Sunday is filled with good things.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lori, love the modern translation of #18. I'll share it with the kids on Monday.

    Beth, glad you enjoy the poetry. I can't believe how much poetry I've read since starting this. For several years I've had the kids put a poetry anthology together. They can put two of their own poems in along with 10 others, and for the first time, I'm letting them put a song's lyrics in it. So you could put the Fogelberg in your sixth grade poetry anthology. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. heh Lori that's hilariously good. I've never seen it before. thanks for sharing.

    Here's some Mallory:

    The month of May was come,
    when every lusty heart beginneth to blossom,
    and to bring forth fruit;
    for like as herbs and trees bring forth fruit and flourish in May, in likewise every lusty heart that is in any manner a lover, springeth and flourisheth in lusty deeds. For it giveth unto all lovers courage, that lusty month of May.

    You may now all commence humming the Lerner & Lowe tune from Camelot.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Drive by
    Hi!

    Should be back in the swing tomorrow… Jim, I remember that sonnet from high school.

    ReplyDelete