Sunday, May 24, 2009

Sunday Poetry Post




Dirge Without Music
by Edna St. Vincent Millay

I am not resigned to the shutting away of loving hearts
        in the hard ground.
So it is and so it will be, for so it has been, time out of
        mind:
Into the darkness they go, the wise and lovely.
        Crowned
With lilies and laurel they go; but I am not resigned.

Lovers and thinkers, into the earth with you.
Be one with the dull, the indiscriminate dust.
A fragment of what you felt, of what you knew,
A formula, a phrase remains,—but the best is lost.

The answers quick and keen, the honest look, the laughter,
        the love,—
They are gone. They are gone to feed the roses. Elegant
        and curled
Is the blossom. Fragrant is the blossom. I know. But I do
        not approve.
More precious was the light in your eyes than all the
        roses in the world.

Down, down, down into the darkness of the grave
Gently they go, the beautiful, the tender, the kind;
Quietly they go, the intelligent, the witty, the brave.
I know. But I do not approve. And I am not resigned.

12 comments:

  1. Fine lookin' batch of young folk, sir, they yours? They have a little bit of that "Be cool, don't piss off Mister F" expression going on. ;)

    Hope you & Andi are enjoying your lovely guest this weekend. If physics weren't what it is, Beth & I would have rolled up last night with a double batch of homemade oreos, heh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great pic.
    Love seeing our FUTURE, HOPE, INNOCENCE.

    We need to balance the realities with the possibilities.

    Waves to JEN.

    Hugs to PoetMan and Andi. Pat the Pups for me.

    Relaxing Sunday to All. WooHoo I get to have a second Saturday and look forward to tomorrow off too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Physics be dammed. Mmmm cookies. I've always thought Mr. F. was an unfortunate abbreviation for a teacher.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jen, physics be damned! We want you and Beth (and your cookies) here now. :)

    Hi Lisa. Enjoy your One Day Less Till It's Over and With No Kids Yay Day tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lisa M, that's some of last year's crop of sixth graders. They raised the money to give that flag to the music teacher for her Veterans' Day program. I read somewhere that Millay wrote that poem in reaction to loosing so many friends in WWI.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jen, Andi and I are sharing one brain this morning.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well that'll teach me not to refresh before posting comments -- I think I'd rather not know just how much Jim and I think alike.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's a perfect poem for Memorial Day. Thanks, Mr. F.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great poem - I like to believe that we live on in the memories of our friends. Else, why are we here?

    Damn physics. One of these days, Jen, we're going to show up at the F. residence with cookies! I can drive, if you'll do the baking.

    Sitting by the pool drinking pina coladas and mudslides. Sometimes my life doesn't suck.

    Big hugs to maryb for us!! And enjoy the long weekend, everyone.

    Big hugs to you all, too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. PS - And hugs to our absent Nancy, wherever she is!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks Beth. Andi, maryb, and I are waiting for the cookies and oh yeah you guys too. Pick up Nancy on your way even if she is up to her eyeballs in revising.

    ReplyDelete